Getting Rid of Termites Naturally
from Radar Pest Control by Nazmun pestradar.com
How to rid your house of termites. – Termites are one of the most common pests related homeowner issues, estimated to do damage of more than $5 billion per year in the United States alone. Termites are also known as a “silent destroyer” because termites do hidden silent damage. A termite is a tiny pest and presence of its colony would not destroy your property in a day, but over time the damage could be considerable. and either way, termites will not disappear without being treated.
The first and most important part of getting rid your house of termites in your home is detecting the presence of termites. Termites are active throughout the year and the most common signs of termite infestation, discarded wings, termite swarmers, Frass, Hollow-sounding wood. If you suspect any of these activities, call a pest control professional. A pest control expert can give you a personalized plan for the treatment and prevention. This may involve various treatment methods such as fumigation wood treatment, liquid repellents, and baits. Just because you are choosing pest control experts to rid your home of termites does not mean that the process isn’t natural and completely safe for both pets and children.
Natural Termite Treatments to Rid your house of Termites
You can choose a Natural method to rid your house of termites that is better for the environment. It is normal and understandable to want to use removal techniques that are safe. Not only is it possible to make your pest problem the priority, but also offer pest control techniques that are safe for kids, pets, and plants. This is a huge benefit to choosing eco-friendly options when you are in need of pest removal.
If you are looking for ways to kill termites on your own, there are a few natural methods that you can help you prevent termites from damaging your property.
*Termite MD does not endorse any of the below listed Natural termite treatments. I have heard of them, but have no idea as to the effectiveness of these treatments and techniques, I have not used these methods. Some of these are full treatments and some are spot treatments.
Below are some of Natural Product methods that you can try yourself to rid your house of termites.
*Although the use of these products has some recommendations accompanying the text. This is only a laymen’s advice and is only a suggestion. TermiteMD says. “if you are going to the trouble to use a safe chemical termite product, use it safely and READ AND FOLLOW THE PRODUCT LABELS// In most states, it is actually against the law to improperly apply chemical products. So follow the label directions.
1. Orange oil – (full treatment, and/or spot treatment) Orange oil is one of the most commonly used types of natural treatment for eliminating termites. Extracted from orange peel, the main ingredient in orange oil is D-limonene that can be found in many household cleaning products. Even though it has low toxicity to humans it is still highly concentrated and can be allergic to some people. To eliminate termites with orange oil you can follow the label directions. It can take up to a few weeks to get rid of termites depending upon the severity of the infestation.
2. Electrocution– (Spot treatment) Electrocution is passing the current through the wood to kill termites inside. There are electrocution devices such as electrocution guns available in the market that can help you kill termites without drilling holes though in some cases, drilling holes can increase the efficiency of electrocution. These devices do not raise the wood temperature to the point of ignition.
3. Heat and Cold Treatments – (Spot treatment) This is another non-chemical method to treat a structure for Termites. Like most living creatures on this planet, termites can’t survive in extreme temperature. Though termites can survive in temperatures between 20⁰F and 120⁰F. Simply placing the infested wooden object in direct sunlight can evaporate the moisture within the piece of wood thus killing termites or making them abandon the wood. For this method to work effectively you should place infested wood in direct sunlight for at least 3-4 days.The professional heat treatment can be usually done in a single day. It is completed by forcing hot air into infested area raising the wood temperature more than 120⁰. For cold treatment, you can inject liquid nitrogen into the infested walls of your home. Liquid nitrogen can easily reach termites colonies in otherwise inaccessible locations.
4. Boric Acid – (Spot treatment) Boric acid is another natural pest control method and has been used to control pest infestation for decades. It is one of the most effective methods to eradicate termites. In fact, it is the active ingredient in many termites’ treatment products. Boric acid dehydrates termites and stops its nervous system from functioning. To eradicate termites you can coat boric acid on wooden surface and gardens for preventive measures. For an effective measure, you can create boric acid with bait stations in the key areas. Boric acid is toxic to humans if inhaled or ingested.
5. Natural borate salt – (Spot treatment) if you are worried about having a poisonous ingredient in your house, then you can also use natural borate salt that is also tremendously effective for killing termites but is known to be safe for humans and pets. Borate acid solution can penetrate wood and kill termite colonies inside.
6. Cardboard Traps – (Spot treatment) Using Card board traps is the most natural and cost effective way of getting rid of termites. Though this method would not eliminate termites completely from your house but it will surely help. Cardboard contains cellulose that produces wood like smell which attracts termites. To setup cardboard bait, you can spray a sheet of card with water and place it near the infested area where termite colony is present. Termites will slowly come and gather on the top of the cardboard. This is a slow process and will take a couple of days. Once the cardboard is full of termites you can dispose of it with fire.
7. Essential oils –(Spot treatment) Using essential oils especially clove bud oil can be a very effective treatment to get rid of termites. Fill oil in mist sprayer and spray it on the affected area. Alternatively, you can use other oils like vetiver oil, tree tea oil, cinnamon oil, mint oil and orange oil. If spraying directly on termite colony you can mix 5-10 drops per gallon of water.
Get Rid of Termite in your house